About COST actions
COST is an intergovernmental framework for European Cooperation in Science and Technology, allowing the coordination of nationally-funded research on a European level. COST contributes to reducing the fragmentation in European research investments and to opening the European Research Area to cooperation worldwide.
University of Primorska as a grant holder of COST actionstop
The University of Primorska leads / has led three COST actions:
An integrated approach to conservation of threatened plants for the 21st Century
On the 15. November 2019 doc. dr. Živa Fišer Pečnikar from UP FAMNIT's Department of Biodiversity became the grant holder of COST action CA18201 entitled: An integrated approach to the conservation of threatened plants for the 21st Century.
The main objective of the action is to improve the protection of endangered plants in Europe through the establishment of a network of researchers and other stakeholders concerned with various aspects of plant conservation, from taxonomy, ecology, conservation genetics, conservation physiology and reproductive biology to protected area managers. Slovenia is the main initiator of the action, cooperating with representatives from Austria, Finland, France, Greece, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Learn more about the action on the website.
Performance of bio-based building materials
Members from 29 countries participated in the action. They focused on the performance of bio-based building materials, their resistance, and degradability, with the aim of maintaining and expanding the use of low-carbon building materials in Europe.
More information is available on the action's webpage.
On 10 March 2015, University of Primorska was selected as a grant holder of the COST action FP1407: Understanding wood modification through an integrated scientific and environmental impact approach (ModWoodLife), 2015 2019. Assoc. Prof. Andreja Kutnar PhD was appointed as the chair of the action.
Members from 23 European countries participated in the action with the aim of characterizing the relationship between modification processing, product properties, and the associated environmental impacts. This includes the development and optimization of modified processing, and quantification of the impacts of emerging treatment technologies compared to traditional processing and alternative materials, in order to maximize sustainability and minimize environmental impacts.
You can read more about the ModWoodLife action on the dedicated website here.
Our teachers and researchers in COST actionstop
Our teachers and researchers currently cooperate in thirteen COST actions:
- COST Action CA15121: Advancing marine conservation in the European and contiguous seas (MarCons), 2016 - 2020 (Bojan Lazar, Management Committee member)
- COST Action CA15216 European Network of Bioadhesion Expertise: Fundamental Knowledge to Inspire Advanced Bonding Technologies, 2016 - 2020 (Anna Sandak, Working Group member)
- COST Action CA16103: Magnetic Resonance Imaging Biomarkers for Chronic Kidney Disease, 2016-2020 - PARENCHIMA (Peter Rogelj, Management Committee member)
- COST Action CA16114 REthinking Sustainability TOwards a Regenerative Economy, 2017-2021 (Michael Burnard, Management Committee member, Iztok Šušteršič, Management Committee substitute)
- COST Action CA16215 European network for the promotion of portable, affordable and simple analytical platforms, 2017 - 2021 (Jakub Sandak, Management Committee member, Michael Burnard, Management Committee substitute)
- COST Action CA16226: Indoor living space improvement: Smart Habitat for the Elderly, 2017-2021 (Michael Burnard, Vice-Chair, Jakub Sandak and Anna Sandak, Management Committee members, Michael Mrissa and Dean Lipovac, Working Group members)
- COST Action CA16228 European Network for Game Theory, 2017 - 2021 (Miklós Krész, Working Group member)
- COST Action CA17108: Aedes Invasive Mosquitoes, 2018-2022 (Katja Kalan and Vladimir Ivović, Management Committee members)
- COST Action CA17122: Increasing understanding of alien species through citizen science, 2018-2022 (Živa Fišer, Management Committee member)
- COST Action CA18134: Genomic Biodiversity Knowledge for Resilient Ecosystems, 2019-2023 (Elena Bužan, Management Committee member)
- COST Action CA18201: An integrated approach to conservation of threatened plants for the 21st Century, 2019-2023 (Živa Fišer, Chair, Grant-holder)
- COST Action CA18234 Computational materials sciences for efficient water splitting with nanocrystals from abundant elements, 2019 - 2023, (Veerapandian Ponnuchamy, Management Committee member, Working Group member)
COST Action CA18236 Multi-disciplinary innovation for social change, 2019 - 2023 (Nežka Sajinčič, Management Committee member)