Monday, 20 June 2022 Fully funded PhD in Mathematics - Cryptography at University of Primorska
The Faculty of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Information Technologies at the University of Primorska (UP FAMNIT) is offering one fully-funded PhD scholarship at the Center of Cryptography.
We welcome applications from EU as well as International students who are enthusiastic about working as part of a multidisciplinary team focusing on mathematical cryptographic research in the following areas:
- Boolean functions with high nonlinearity (bent functions, AB functions, planar functions …),
- Linear codes,
- Cryptanalysis (classical and quantum).
The selected candidate will be offered a tailored research project at UP FAMNIT.
What does the scholarship include?
The selected candidate will receive a 36-48 month scholarship which includes:
- monthly payments of around EUR 1000 neto,
- tuition fees,
- research equipment and a working desk,
- yearly budget for other research costs for covering fieldwork and conference attendance.
Candidates should demonstrate outstanding academic potential with a strong Master’s ang Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics or related subject. Good understanding of finite fields, vector spaces, algebraic and combinatorial techniques is desired. Familiarity with Sage, Mathematica, Magma or similar program packages is a plus.
Candidates must be born in 1994 or younger.
Besides the regular coursework required for the doctoral study programme (more information available here), 2 hours per week of teaching assistant work (e.g. running lab sessions, consulting students, drafting and correcting coursework, etc.). The teaching assistant work is only conducted during term time (32 weeks per year).
If coming from outside of EU the selected candidate will need a proof of fluent English language ability. Selected candidates will start their studies at the latest on 1st of October 2022. The selected candidate is expected to complete their doctoral studies in a minimum of 3 and maximum of 4 years.
How to apply?
Applicants for the scholarship need to include the following documents (if not in English or Slovenian all documents need to be officially translated and provided with documents in the original language):
- a motivational letter,
- a Curriculum Vitae (personal details, work experience, education and training, language skills, awards and recognitions, previous research work, publications) - maximum 4 pages,
- a certified copy of any previously completed higher-level education degrees: e.g. bachelor degree, master degree, etc.,
- course transcripts, GPA (grade point average) certificate of exams and tutorials,
- a reference letter,
- if you will need a visa to study in Slovenia, a copy of the page of your passport that gives your full name, passport number, etc.
Application deadline is 30 July 2022.
Lead Supervisor: Prof. Enes Pasalic, PhD
More information: Center of Cryptography
Members of the center (from left to right): Dr. Samir Hodžić, Dr. Nastja Cepak; Prof. Enes Pasalic, PhD, Sadmir Kudin, Rene Rodriguez Aldama, Amar Bapić